Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Silly Season (1994)

Dry Bones cartoon: Spring is in the air. We are filled with hope and optimism for the future. It's the 'Silly Season'.
Today was warm and sunny. A lovely taste of spring to come. I got a haircut at my local barbershop and strolled home with a kind of bounce in my walk. The world seemed beautiful. Life was good.

When I got back to my studio I began searching for a Golden Oldie for today's posting. Caught in the grip of premature spring fever and facing a deadline, I took the easy way out... I did not search for a topic or a theme that would be relevant to current events. I just looked for a cartoon that had been published in the past on February 13. Today's date.

I found this one from 1994.

And was shocked!

Thirteen years ago on another February 13, there was Mr. Shuldig reading a book of optimistic drivel and fairy tale parables to his dog Doobie, exactly as he did in yesterday's cartoon.

Thirteen years ago on another February 13, a spring-like day had put a smile on my face and had filled me with hope.

And then, as now, the pragmatic Doobie had listened in grim disbelief.

- - - - - - - - - -
Just for the record, spring begins on March 21 and in 2007, the first night of Passover is not until April 2, 2007, while Easter falls on April 8, 2007.

Labels: , , ,