Monday, December 26, 2005

Happy Chanukah

Dry Bones cartoon - Chanukah

When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, at Christmas, newspaper cartoonists did special spreads with visions of Christmas Trees, miniature flying reindeer, and stockings "hung by the chimney with care." My Chanukah was an almost subversive recognition of the survival of my people through the long centuries of our victimization by civillizations and peoples which massively outnumbered us, hungered to destroy us, and yet could not stamp out our will to survive, fight back and be free. It shined brightly in the little lights of freedom that we lit and placed in our windows.
When I became a newspaper cartoonist in the world's only Jewish country It was natural that I would publically gush at holiday times, delighted to express joy in our culture in an open, in your face, normalcy.
I guess that's a good part of my Zionism.
Meanwhile permit me to wish you Christians out there a very Merry time, filled with peace and love and good will towards men.

Labels: , , ,