Purim Shmendrik Awards 2008
- The 2008 Shmendrik Awards
Shmendrik: (shmen- drik) n. (Yiddish) a pathetic and foolish small time ineffectual loser, a jerk.
Like the Worst-Dressed list or the Worst Movies awards, our awards highlight the activities of the losers amongst us. With these awards we recognize the achievements of those who, through their actions, have seemingly unwittingly aided the enemies of the Jewish people and the Jewish State. The awards are given every year on or about the week of Purim.
* * *This year, for the very first time, Israeli Shmendriks beat out all foreign competitors and have made a clean sweep of the awards, amazingly taking first, second, and third places!! * * * Below are this year's "winners".
- GOLD SHMENDRIK - First Place -
Ehud Olmert (Israeli Prime Minister)This loser was far and away the most nominated candidate for Shmendrik of the Year by Dry Bones fans. If you have to ask why Israel's Prime Minister Ehud Olmert deserves to be awarded the Golden Shmendrik Award, well, you just haven't been paying attention!
- SILVER SHMENDRIK - Second Place - David Landau (Haaretz editor)
At a private meeting of some 20 journalists with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in September, 2007, Ha'aretz newspaper editor David Landau urged the U.S. to "rape" Israel - to force a settlement on the country. In a December 26 story on the incident, Jewish Week editor Gary Rosenblatt quoted Landau saying: "'I told [Rice] that it had always been my wet dream to address the secretary of state' on these vital matters."!!Background Story by CAMERA
- BRONZE SHMENDRIK -Third Place - Dr. Zali Gurevitch, head of the Hebrew University Teachers' Committee that awarded a prize to a graduate student for a research paper which claims that Israel is racist because Israeli soldiers do not rape Palestinian women. The paper was published by the Hebrew University's "Shaine Center," at the "enthusiastic recommendation" of the professors' committee headed by Dr. Gurevitch!Background Story
Labels: Condoleezza Rice, Holidays, IDF, Olmert, Purim, Shmendrik
Back to Current Posts